Tuesday, September 21, 2010

"I Love Boobs"

I have been back and forth about saying something about this topic, but it continues to eat away at me so I'm just going to speak and if nothing else comes of it, at least I voiced my feelings! ;) ( you know, thats all we women really care about lol)

I have noticed lately in pictures of facebook friends and their own friends, that the shirt "I love boobs" is a popular item to wear. This irks my last nerve. My mother is a two time survivor of breast cancer, and upon her second battle she was forced to undergo reconstructive surgery...which means they removed her breasts and in place of them had to try and make implants work from scratch. You can try and tell me that you are wearing these shirts in support of breast cancer, and even if that is true in the slightest, the real truth of it is that the shirt has become more of a fad, a way to be funny. When you are wearing a shirt that says I love boobs to parties, I highly doubt your motive is to support breast cancer. When you are wearing these shirts skin tight, and your breasts are pouring over the top of them, I doubt your purpose is to bring awareness to this deadly disease, but rather to bring awareness to your own breasts. Let me just take the time now to remind you...breast cancer is a serious disease and I have seen both victory and defeat when it comes to the battle of this particular cancer. To flaunt your boobs in a shirt that is supposed to stand for those who have battled, overcome, or been taken by this disease, as well as their families and loved ones, is down right insulting. To flaunt your voluntary implants or God given breasts because you think its cute with a symbol across your chest that stands for the ones who have unwillingly lost their womanhood, is selfish. And for you guys who wear these shirts for nothing more than a joke...its not cute, its not funny...its cruel. I am sorry if this comes across forward or even mean, but to have watched my own mother go through all she did and see her victory be made light of makes me sick. Please think twice before you place that shirt over your heads next time. Think of the real reason you are wearing it, and if it is not truly for the lives that have been affected by breast cancer, then out of respect, dont wear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment