Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Taking Advantage

Lately I have been struggling with preventing myself from becoming calloused to helping "friends in need". It seems that everytime we reach out and go out of our way for people, we are generally always taken advantage of. It has gotten to the point where we cringe that the thought of helping certain people for fear of what we will have to go through as a result... It shouldnt be like that but we have been burnt so many times that we automatically assume the worst now from everyone. We are hesitant to offer our services anymore unless first asked. It shouldnt be that way! I don't beleive all people are always intentionally trying to take advantage, good hearted people are capable of blindly doing it if they aren't careful. But nevertheless, its FRUSTRATING! However, I've been battling with my feelings about it for a little while now, and this morning it hit me that I do the same thing to God every day! How often do we take Him for granted? everyday we willingly take all his blessings, grace, love, and forgiveness, and yet we just continue to take and take and give him only a fourth ( if even that) of our time, effort, and devotion. We take advantage of our Almighty everyday, and most of the time, we are extremely ungrateful for all He has done for us. If God continues to bless, love and forgive me regardless of my selfish attitude, then shouldn't I do the same? I cannot change how others act or respond, but I know that I personally am called to serve and love, to "turn the other cheek", to imitate Christ regardless of what others do. Talk about tough...I suppose that is yet another reason we are in need of Christ's redeeming love, because it is beyond our nature to love when we are not shown love in return :P

No comments:

Post a Comment